Sunday, June 1, 2008



I would like to now spend a couple of minutes talking about Portugal--my neighboring country, and for some a disappointment.-- To be honest, I have to be included among those who found the country a little boring and even dirty.
It is not for no reason that Portugal is among the most undeveloped countries in Western Europe. You can feel this anywhere you go within the country. I have been both in the northern and southern part. It is not unusual to see dirt on the streets and, in my modest opinion, there is not much to see. There is a huge contrast between Portugal and other European countries. This least developed nation doesn't count with the impressive monuments most other European countries do. There you cannot see that transition from Roman, to Arab, Persian... that I described when talking about my beloved country. Despite the fact that both countries are next to each other, the differences are more than noticeable. Although, not even twenty years ago the level of industrialization of both nations both about the same, Spain in the last decades has seen huge economic growth.

Portugal, however, still has some fun to offer. For those who like the beach Portugal's beaches are quite nice.

My recommendation: Visit the city of O Porto. It is in my opinion, the one that has the most to offer. It has a wide variety of museums, including an exhibition of the first train in the country, cathedrals and restaurants.

Even though, this meal is not typical from the country, I must say that the sweet-bread sandwiches they make on O Porto are the best sandwiches I have ever tasted. I have yet to find out where this delicacy comes from.

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYou-TFY
SoSuechtig